Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Revolutionary Man - How To Be A Man: The 5 Pillars of Revolutionary Manhood

Jayson Gaddis offers a template for mature masculinity.

How To Be A Man: The 5 Pillars of Revolutionary Manhood

Mon, Sep 7, 2009

Picture 3

A lot of men ask me where the model for manhood is. Guess what?

There isn’t one.

But why there is no formal model for being a man?

There are plenty of informal models of how to be a man on TV, Hollywood and famous sports figures. In other words, because there is no formal model, we are left to observing other men in our day-to-day routines.

Therefore, we end up observing whomever we see the most: Our Dads and famous people who we see on TV and our computer on a regular basis.

As you already know, I’m not into ho-hum manhood exemplified by Homer Simpson, Jimmy Kimmel or even Lance Armstrong.

As much as I respect pro-athletes work ethic, their manhood modeling is far from revolutionary.

And, while my Dad was amazing in many respects, he had his own limitations.

Remember that due to our lack of formal initiation into manhood in this culture, there is no template for young boys to become a man. It is all very vague.

In taking a risk, I am providing one formal model for manhood. It’s quite simple.

But as with any system or model, it must be tested against your own experience. And, the essential point is how I live it every day.

I call it the 5 Pillars of being a Revolutionary Man. Notice how I didn’t say “pillars for being a man.”

I said revolutionary man. Why bother just being a man? It sounds so boring and can even discount our capacity and potential.

If you want to be the best man you can be, it is going to require that you go beyond status quo manhood.

I don’t claim to be “the” revolutionary man. I am growing every day. Each day I am met with new challenges and the Universe reminds me of how I am not living into my potential.

Therefore, I strive to be a revolutionary man. A man who inspires others into their greatness.

I get one shot at this life and I want to die having given everything I could.

This model is not dogma. It is here for you to work from and explore. Consider it a blueprint from which to measure yourself as a Man

You might want to consider taking a life inventory in these categories.

I am just going to skim the surface on these. If you want to go into greater detail, cruise my website for these themes, download a much longer description of each here, or apply for my Men’s Leadership Training for 2010.

The 5 Pillars of Revolutionary Manhood

Picture 2

Go read the whole post to get definitions of the five components.


No comments: